Our Vision, Mission, Core Beliefs and Guiding Principles
Children in Sonoma County from the prenatal stage to age five will develop to their fullest potential.
The mission of First 5 Sonoma County is to maximize the healthy development of all Sonoma County children from the prenatal stage through age five through support, education, and advocacy.
- Children must be appreciated for who they are now as well as who they will become.
- Experiences in the first five years have a critical and long lasting impact on a child's developing brain.
- Families are their children's first teacher.
- All children, regardless of language, culture, or special needs, have the right to access the entire spectrum of services that support their development.
- The entire community benefits from providing all children with the opportunity to reach their fullest potential.
- Early intervention and prevention services are essential investments of resources.
In our work, we will:
- Partner with parents, families, and communities to provide safe and nurturing environments for young children.
- Recognize and honor the rights, intelligence, curiosity, and imagination of all children.
- Respect the diversity, strength, uniqueness, and potential of all children, families, and communities.
- Invest in programs and systems that are most likely to lead to sustainable systems change.
- Collaborate with community partners to coordinate and integrate services for children from the prenatal stage through age five and their families.
- Build support for policies and research-based programs that benefit children from the prenatal stage through age five and their families.
- Maintain a strong sense of fiscal responsibility in determining how to best allocate public funds.
- Be transparent and accountable as stewards of First 5 public funds.
- Assess and refine our efforts based on community feedback, documented evaluation, and evidenced-based practices.